Friday, February 11, 2011

50 lbs

50 pounds.   That's how much I have to loose to reach the goal weight the doctor set for me back in September.  Of course, at the time I only needed to loose 30.  I was working out and watching what I ate for a couple of weeks, but then came birthdays and holidays.  In September it was pizza and cake for Ruby's first birthday.  Not too bad I thought, wouldn't set me back much.  Then it was tacos and cake for Julian's birthday in October- along with Halloween candy of course.  In November it was pie for Kaleb's birthday (he loves pumpkin pie more than cake).  And then two- yes two- Thanksgiving meals, complete with dessert.  December of course was filled with Christmas cookies and egg nog, topped off by more cookies and cake on (and after) New Years Eve.  When it was all said and done, I had GAINED weight.  And for the first few days after I realized I had gained the extra weight, I was just depressed.  Being heavy puts too much stress on my body, which makes my joints hurt and causes my fibromyalga to flare up (which makes everything hurt).  The idea that I might feel this way for the rest of my life, that I might never be able to run with my kids or climb a hill with out feeling like I wanted to cry, made me want to, well, cry.  

And then it happend.  I woke up one morning and decided that I was not going to let this beat me.  That I would not give up with out a fight.  I started not only to watch what I was eating, but also how much I was having.  I started to mind my calories and exercise when I could.  Most importantly, I started setting smaller goals that I can use as stepping stones along the way.  That may seem silly, but I know that if I get too focused on the 50 lbs, then I'll end up getting discouraged and give up.  So I'm setting a goal for each month.  For the first month, my goal was to cut back on sugar and junk food and start to exercise more.  No weight loss goal, just improved eating and exercise habbits.  I am now at the end of the first month and.....I did it.  I work out at least 4 times a week here at home and have cut WAY back on sugar and junk food.  As a bonus, I lost 5 lbs this past month.  Just from those simple changes!

Entering month two, I have decided to get a gym membership and start to work toward a goal of 10 more pounds.  But I'm not going to get upset if I don't loose 10 this month.  That's just my next milestone.  The trainer at the gym is going to help me develop an exercise plan that will focus on weight loss.  I am aiming to go to the gym 2-3 times a week and continue to work out at home.  I am still watching how much I'm eating and keeping the sugar to a minimum.  Its hard, I won't lie.  I love sweets. I just keep reminding myself that no sweet treat is ever going to make me feel as good as running with my kids this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Karen. I will tell you some of my secrets. I got up to 200 lbs pregnant with Hendrix. After I had him I was 165 for a while, I breastfed for 18 montha which meant I was already watching what I ate. We eat organic, natural, local and raw foods as much as we can. We keep processed foods to a minimum and other than ice cream and meat, there is hardly anything in our freezer. But all that only got me down to 145 on my own.

    I bought the book Skinny Bitch. If you read that book it is all the motivation you will need to become a veagan. I LOVE meat. I only lasted for two months, but that was all it took for me to drop down to 125. The weight melted off. That book scared me from eating the things I knew I shouldn't eat. Granted, I still eat meat, but only poultry and limit my red meat to only burger for pastas, and occasionally sloppy joes. But even then I use turkey burger most of the time. I also joined a gym around the same time last year. I only got to it twice a week at first, but it was enough to get started. Diet and exercise have to be done in combination to see results. It sounds like you have found your correct formula. The hard part is keeping to it. I have slacked a lot. I got down to 120 for about a year and just recently gained another 5 lbs, which I am fine with but it reminded me to get back to work. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete